The National Electronic Identity Card
The National Id Card identifies everyone for life and every citizens should register with the Nigerian
National Identity Management Commission NIMC 2019 to obtain their national id card.
The national id card is an importance identity card which cannot be overemphasized as one would hardly transact any government or other business deals these days without such identification.
All eligible citizens of Nigeria should register without delay to avail themselves of the benefits available for obtaining the card.
The id card once obtained will helps one in various daily transactions, for example, one hardly does any bank transaction without the card and the card could be used in future elections in Nigeria.
As you can see in the above diagram - the process to acquiring your National Identification Number (NIN) by beginning pre-enrolment online from the comfort of your home or office or visiting internet cafe services.
- Go to the NIMC Online Pre-Enrolment Portal - penrol.nimc.gov.ng
- Register/Sign in.
- Fill the online form by typing in and/or editing your required details
- Once done, a barcode will be generated for you.
- Print out the slip with the barcode on it.
- Take your printed-out barcode to a NIN enrolment centre.
- Come along with proof of your identity (passport, valid driver's license, voter's ID card, Government staff ID card, Birth certificate, etc.).
- Collect two slips - Transaction and NIN - after your biometrics have been captured.
- The NIN slip contains your National Identification Number - safeguard it.
NIME 2018 2017 2016 2015
The official National Identity Management Commission website at
the Recruitment nimc.gov.ng (www.nimc.gov.ng)
Partner Agencies of National Identity Management Commission NIMC
- Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)
- Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC)
- Economic & Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)
- Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS)
- Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC)
- Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC)
- Joint Admissions & Matriculations Board (JAMB)
- National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS)
- National Population Commission (NPC)
- Nigeria Communication Commission (NCC)
- Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS)
- Nigeria Police Force (NPF)
- Pension Commission (PC)
National Id Card
Card UK United Kingdom
• Can an Identity Card or NIN be blocked or revoked?
• Do I need to carry my National Identity Card at all times?
• Do I need to re-enroll again if I forget my NIN?
• How and where will I pick up my card?
• How is the NIMS being implemented?
• How will I get my NIN?
• I do not have a card, can I identity myself?
• What is NIMC (National Identity Management Commission)?
• What is NIMC setup to do (Mandate)?
• What is National Identity Management System (NIMS)?
• What is the National Identification Number (NIN)?
• What is the NIN used for?
• What is the Cost of obtaining an ID Card?
• What security/encryption technology has been put in place to secure and safeguard data on the ID Card?
• Where are the Centres for registration?
• Who is eligible to have an Identity Card?
• Who is eligible to register and enrol?
• Why is the ID Card incorporating Payment Solution as one of its features?
• Why is the ID card restricted to 16 years of age?
• Will NIN change with a re-issuance (replacement or renewal) of an ID Card?
Can an Identity Card or NIN be blocked or revoked?
Yes! If a NIN is falsely obtained and if the National ID card is lost or has an error, is misused or discovered to have
been improperly issued etc.
The ID card remains the property of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Do I need to carry my National Identity Card at all times?
No! You can assert your identity with or without a physical ID card. Your NIN, Card and/or Biometrics can be used to irrefutably assert your identity.
Do I need to re-enroll again if I forget my NIN?
No! You don't have to re-enrol. Simply visit the nearest enrolment center.
How and where will I pick up my card?
The processing centre of your national identity management commission will notified you when your card is ready and pick-up will be at the same centre you were enrolled.
How is the NIMS being implemented?
The NIMS Implementation is divided into two broad components;
1. Front-end Services - This focuses on provision and management of Enrolment and Enrolment centers, deployment and management of Verification services.
2. Back-end Services - This focuses on the provision and management of connectivity from enrolment centers to the National Identity Database (NID), issuance and management of the National Identification Number (NIN) and National Identity Card,
And Management of the National Identity Database and its components and the management of the Disaster recovery sites.
How will I get my NIN?
After successful enrolment of NIN, an individual will be issued a National Identification Number (NIN) immediately or be told to come back at a given date to pick up the NIN.
I do not have a card, can I identity myself?
Yes! You can assert your identity with or without a physical ID card. Your NIN, Card and/or Biometrics can be used to irrefutably assert your identity.
What is National Identity Management Commission (NIMC)?
The National Identity Management Commission NIMC is the Federal Government Agency established by the NIMC Act No. 23 of 2007,
to create, operate, own, maintain and manage the National Identity Database, register citizens and legal residents,
assign unique National Identification Number (NIN).
And issue National Identity (Smart) Cards to those registered individuals, as well as to harmonize and integrate existing identification databases in the Federal Republic of Nigeria, West Africa. Independent Federation and First Republic (1960-1966).
What is NIMC setup to do (Mandate)?
1. Establish the National Identity Management Commission.
2. Wind-up and take over the assets and liabilities of the former default Department of National Civic Registration (DNCR).
3. Establish, operate and manage the National Identity Management System (NIMS) including to:
- Collaborate with private and or public sector institutions to deliver on the National Identity Management System (NIMS).
- Create and operate a National Identity Database.
- Establish and maintain permanent, mobile and temporary enrolment centres for primary data capture and data updating.
- Harmonize and integrate existing Identity Databases in Government Agencies.
- Issue a general multipurpose Card to every registered person.
- Issue Unique National Identification Numbers to citizens and legal residents.
- Provide Identity Verification services platform.
What is National Identity Management System (NIMS)?
a. A National Identity Database;
b.Generation and Assignment of Unique National Identification Numbers to citizens and legal residents;
c.Harmonize and integrate existing Identity Databases in Government Agencies;
d.Production and issuance of a multi-purpose National Identity Card to every registered person;
e.Provide Identity Verification services platform.
What is the National Identification Number (NIN)?
The National Identification Number (NIN) is a unique number assigned to an individual for life, upon successful enrolment into the National Identity Database.
What is the NIN used for?
The NIN is used to assert a personís Identity. You enroll once and you are identified for life with the NIN assigned to you.
What is the Cost of obtaining an ID Card?
The registration and first issuance of the National Identity Card is FREE.
However, there is a cost for any subsequent card replacement e.g. in the event of a loss, update, damage, expiration etc.
What security/encryption technology has been put in place to secure and safeguard data on the ID Card?
Some appropriate security measures have been considered in the design of the national id card in conformity with global standards.
Where are the Centres for registration?
There are Registration Centres in all the 36 state capitals including the FCT.
There are also designated Enrolment Centers in various locations within Abuja.
There will also be centers in all the 774 Local Government offices nationwide. Plan have been made to also establish special enrollment centres.
Who is eligible to have an Identity Card?
Every eligible person who must have attained the age of 16 years can obtain an National ID Card. Children less than 16 years of age will be issued a NIN only.
Who is eligible to register and enrol?
The criteria for eligible persons are as follows:
- Any person who is a citizen of Nigeria;
- Any person, whether or not is a citizen of Nigeria, who is lawfully and permanently resident in Nigeria; and
- Any non-citizen of Nigeria who is lawfully resident in Nigeria for a period of two years or more.
Why is the ID Card incorporating Payment Solution as one of its features?
The National ID card is a general multi-purpose card which has several applications one of which is the payment solution is primarily to help promote financial inclusion, especially for the unbanked.
Why is the ID card restricted to 16 years of age?
The NIMC Act stipulates that only persons 16 years old and above will be eligible for an National ID Card.
This is certainly for the commencement of the scheme. There is plan to review the age limit in future.
Will NIN change with a re-issuance (replacement or renewal) of an ID Card?
No! The NIN is unique to an individual and does not change once assigned; it remains with the individual for life (even in death).
GENERAL ENQUIRIES OR 24 HOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR CALL CENTRE
For all enquiries on National Identity Management Commission (NIMC), National Identity Management System (NIMS),
and National Identification Number (NIN), please see below:
The Director General / Chief Executive Officer
National Identity Management Commission
11 Sokode Crescent,
Off Dalaba Street
Zone 5, Wuse
P. M. B. 18, Garki, Abuja
Mobile: +234 700 225 5646
Fax: +234 9 523 0637
Telephone: +234 9 672 6457 or 01-2808822
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org